How to apply

Students Wishing to Apply for CDT Studentships

Who should apply?

Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics & Engineering graduates who wish to learn how to apply their physical sciences skills to biological problems

How is the studentship structured?

One studentship is for 4 years, covering  the fees and bursary (stipend) for a one year MRes course, followed by a three year PhD, subject to passing the MRes


Fully funded PhD studentships (stipend and fees) are restricted to UK students* with a good degree in the physical sciences (2.1 or above (or equivalent))

* UK students are defined as having the the settled status in the UK (no restrictions on how long they can stay), and having been ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the studentship, as well as, for non EU nationals, not been residing in the UK wholly or mainly for the purpose of full-time education

* Exception: we do have a small studentship proportion for EU nationals that have not been ordinarily residing in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the studentship, however these are extremely competitive and once filled, you may be turned down based on your fee status (EU fee status)


Fees only awards (fees, but no stipend) are available for students from EU countries other than the UK when they have been oridinarily resident in a member state of the EU


Non-UK and non-EU students are welcome to apply if they are able to self fund the 4 year programme 


Please visit the Studentship page for details on the PhD projects available.


Other post-graduate studies opportunities:


Students who are interested in applying for the one-year course should apply through the Imperial College Registry website. More information on the MRes courses in the Chemistry Department can be found here.