• How do I apply for a studentship?

    To apply for a specific studentship please visit our studentships page and click on the title of the project you wish to apply for.  Simply follow the instructions at the bottom of the project description.

  • What is the difference between an ordinary PhD and one obtained from the ICB CDT?

    The ICB CDT not only focuses on the science that needs to be undertaken during a PhD but also trains students with the core transferable skills that many members of industry and academia deem post graduates are lacking, that would make them imminently more employable.  For more information on our transferable skills programme please visit our transferable skills page.  The ICB CDT also trains their scientists to become multidisciplinary.  This does not mean that students knowledge and skills are diluted, it means that students who are already strong in a physical discipline will be able to apply their knowledge to biological problems, having been trained in this extra area.

  • I am a non-EU student, can I still apply for the a CDT studentship?

    You can still apply, however you will not be eligible to receive any funding or bursary, i.e. you will have to self fund.  To find out the cost of self-funding for these courses please follow this link.

  • I would like to find out more information about a specific project or studentship.  Who can I contact to find out this information?

    If there are contact details attached to the studentship or project please feel free to contact the academic involved.  Otherwise, please email ICB Admin and your query will be forwarded to the most relevant person.

  • I have a background in biochemistry/pharmaceutics/biology.  Am I eligible to apply for an ICB studentship?

    The aim of the ICB courses are to train physical scientists, i.e. chemists, engineers, mathematicians and physicists to work on biological problems.  Therefore if you have a biological background we will be unable to offer you a place.  This also applies to most biochemists and pharmacists.  However, if you have a pharmaceutics or biochemistry degree which contained more than 50% physical science we may consider your application.  With your application, you will need to send a breakdown of the modules in your undergraduate degree for consideration.

  • I am interested in applying for one of your studentships and have a physical sciences undergraduate degree, however I have already completed a Masters degree in a biological based subject.  Will I still need to complete the MRes year?

    Of course you can still apply and it is unlikely that you will have to complete the MRes year.  The decision as to whether the MRes year has to be undertaken will be made by the ICB directors and Board.  To help facilitate this decision it would be best if you submitted a breakdown of your MRes degree with your application.

  • Where is the ICB Centre for Doctoral Training based?

    The ICB CDT is a virtual centre, and as such it has many bases in and around London.  It's main centre i.e. where the ICB office is situated is at Imperial College London’s South Kensington Campus.

  • What is it like to live and work in London?

    For information about living and working in London please visit Imperial's Living in London info pages.

  • I am a company/recruitment agent interested in making contact with the students at the ICB.  How do I go about this?

    The ICB is always very happy to try and promote career prospects for our students.  If you are a company or a scientific recruitment agency wishing to pass on information to our students, then we are more than happy to try and arrange seminars/speaker slots for you to present to our students.  If you wish to arrange a meeting or simply send information please email us.